By Muhammad Ohunene Simbiyat.
Stakeholders in Kogi State cutting across party lines are not taking chances in there attempt to produce the next Governor of the State in 2023.
The stakeholders cutting across the All Progressives Congress and the People’s Democratic Party it was gathered at a meeting, may resolve to zone the next Governor of the State to the West Senatorial District.
Recalled that the Eastern and Central Senatorial District have had there slots as governor’s of the State since it’s creation.
According to the stakeholders who met at a secret meeting to brainstorm on the likely candidates, came up with a list of top contenders for who should be supported.
Prince Abubakar Audu, Alhaji Ibrahim Idris and Capt Idris Wada all from the East have ruled the State for close to twenty years of its creation.
Gov. Yahaya Bello would at the end of his administration, from the Central Senatorial District have governed the State for eight years, thus setting the stage for a Kogi West Governor in 2024.
The stakeholders at the meeting with our source not wanting to disclose the attendees of the meeting and the venue which held in Abuja, promised to make it a must resolve to ensure that the district produces the next Governor of the State.
Amongst the list of the top contenders penciled down by the stakeholders include:
(1) Hon. Abiodun Faleke: The Lawmaker Representing Ikeja Federal Constituency has dominated the political landscape since his debut as deputy Governorship candidate to late Prince Abubakar Audu who won the 2015 Governorship election but failed to return to Lugard House following his death.
That Faleke has become an issue, positively in Kogi State Politics is no longer news.
With support based still cutting each day across the Senatorial District, his closeness to the APC Presidential Flagbearer has further boosting his chances with Kogi West Stakeholders likely to have him amongst top contenders.
(2) Abdulrazaq Isa Kutepa: The oil Mogul made an unprecedented impact in 2011 PDP Governorship, almost on the verge of turning the table against the sponsored candidate of Former Gov. Ibrahim Idris. Since that eventful showing, the Lokoja born oil magnet has had an awesome expansion in the oil industry, with the first Nigeria to own a Modular refinery. Presently, he is said to have a leg in the APC and in the PDP, making him a bridge to party politics and a bridge to Kogi West and East.
(3) Alh. Suleiman Baba Ali: The former Kogi State Commissioner For Health is also another attention for the Governorship. He hails from Lokoja too, but with an ancestral home in Kogi East, tops in ranking in the stakeholders permutation.
(4) Hajia Ramatu Tijani Aliyu: The current Minister of State, FCT, is a combination of beauty and brain, has an eye on what over the years has been described as exclusive preserve of men. The Minister hails from Lokoja, with maternal linkage to Central part of the State, would not do badly when the issues of having a financial war chest to prosecute her ambition.
(5) Sen. Smart Adeyemi: The three time Senator of the Federal Republic hails from Ijumu LGA is said to also be eyeing the plum job of the State Governorship. Already, from across the State, various groups have started drumming support for the former NUJ National President. For Many who know the Senator, he is a maverick politician, you can’t take for granted as he has the tendencies to pull positive surprises if underated. For now he may not have publicly accepted the offer to run, his body language point to the fact that he is having the interest.
(5) Hon. Asiwaju Idris Asiru: The present Commissioner For Finance Budget and Economic Planning, hails from Yagba East LGA. A very strong advocate and disciple of Gov. Yahaya Bello, many see him as a trusted ally having held sway as one who can step into the shoes of the incumbent. Very intelligent and has a knack for due process, is another top contender amongst the stakeholders.
From the Peoples Democratic Party some persons are not resting in view of the strength of the Party in the State. Amongst top contenders penciled down by the stakeholders are:
(1) Sen. Dino Melaye: The former Senator is presently one of the spokesman of the PDP Presidential Candidate is touted to be in the race. With a huge expectations that if the PDP makes the Centre, has a very bright chances.
(2) Hon. Abiodun Ojo: Hon. Abiodun is the most serving Finance Commissioner For Finance in the State. He is being touted as being sponsored by former Gov. Ibrahim Idris. He may not have the war chest, but his backers are committed to fight to finish.
(3) Hon. Sam Bamidele Aro: Hon. Aro served as Council Chairman, served in the House of Representatives, was the running mate of Engr. Musa Wada in the 2019 Governorship election. The stakeholders were said to have also penciled his name as a frontliner.
(4) Bolufemi Rotimi: A business man, philanthropist, maybe young in look, he is a combination of skills and having the war chest for the Governorship Race. Many see him as a bridge considering the fact that he has no political enemy as such, has a network of friends from across the State, has already begun reaching out ahead the party primaries.